Thursday, September 25, 2014

LilyGiggle Jujube Sew Along Day 4

I just have to say how much I'm loving all the photos of the things you are all creating this week.  I love to see all the different creative styles.  

Today we are going to talk about sleeves. The Jujube pattern comes with three sleeve lengths- short, 3/4, and long sleeve. I know some of you already have your sleeve length chosen and even cut, so feel free to proceed as planned.  If you are undecided, here is a variation you might want to try out.

First we are going to start with the flutter pattern piece from the Secret Garden dress. My dress was a size 5 so I used the flutter that was for the size 2-6. We need this to be just a bit fuller than it is for the Secret Garden dress so I placed my pattern piece 2 inches from the fold and then cut.


Here is what you should have now. 


This next step you can do two different ways. You can use your serger or your sewing machine to do a lettuce edge along the curved side of your flutter. I did mine on my regular machine. I set my stitch width to a 4 which is the widest it will go, and my length to 1/2. (I have a Bernina if that helps any.) As I sewed along the edge, I stretched the fabric and it makes a beautiful "ripple" for a
 great lettuce edge. 


Now take your flutter to your machine and run a basting/gathering stitch along the straight edge.  Gather it to fit your arm whole opening and pin in place. 


Now, if you would like to just have the flutter you can stop here. Serge your edge and then sew your side seams up and you are ready to move on to the skirt.  


Super cute!!  BUT......you can also add a sleeve! 
Pin your sleeve on right over the flutter.


Sew in place. 


And there you have a sleeve AND a flutter! :) 

Sew your side seam up and hem your sleeve and you are all ready to put your skirt on tomorrow!

No comments :

Post a Comment