Friday, September 26, 2014

LilyGiggle Jujube Sew Along- Day 5

Anyone else excited that it is Friday? :)

Today is our final day and we are going to attach our skirts. Before we start sewing, you need to stabilize the bottom of your bodice. If you look on page 22 of your pattern, step #21, you will see clear directions for this process. I personally love knit interfacing. I cut a strip 1 inch x the width of my bodice. Make sure the stretch in your interfacing is going the right direction before you iron it on! (This girl I know *ahem* did her's wrong one time and had to rip it all off and start over.)  Now that your bodice hem is stabilized, lets talk about the skirt.

Today I'm going to show you a double tiered skirt. I saw a dress on pinterest with a skirt like this and I sent a screen shot to Beth and told her we had to do this for the sew along.  The pattern calls for the skirt to be 2 SW pieces. Because we are doing two tiers, I went with only 1 SW per fabric. If you are using voile or a very lightweight fabric, you might be able to still do the 2 SW pieces. I was worried that with this regular cotton fabric it would be too heavy for the knit bodice and possibly pull some.

Cut your bottom tier as according to the length directions on the pattern, but only cut 1 piece instead of 2. For my size 4, that was 10.5 x the width of the fabric. Then take your other fabric, (this will be your top tier) and cut it half the length of your first piece. My first one was 10.5 so I cut this one 5.25.


 Now hem the bottom of each piece and run a gathering stitch across the top.


Gather your top tier and pin right sides together to your bodice. 


Sew the top layer on. Be very careful not to pull the fabric as you sew. Repeat with the bottom tier. Finish seams with your serger.  Top stitching is optional.


YOU ARE DONE!!!!!  WOOHOO!! 

Thanks for participating in the first ever Lilygiggle Sew Along! When your dress is completed, please load your photo into the Jujube Sew Along Album on our LilyGiggle group. Voting will begin Sunday and run through Tuesday. Winners will be announced Tuesday night.

1 comment :